Most Popular Articles
- Nordstrom faces injury claim by woman who fractured neck in store parking lot
- Abington Memorial Hospital sued by widower of deceased 37-year-old mother of two
- Merck & Co. faces employment discharge complaint by former worker
- N.J. man sues Pennhurst haunted house, site of landmark ‘Halderman’ U.S. Supreme Court decision
- Another SEPTA rider arrested by Phila. D.A. for filing fraudulent injury claim
- Tractor-trailer driver sues Amtrak, PennDOT and City of Chester over railroad bridge incident
- Former Patriots, Redskins linebacker Timothy Petersen adds name to growing list of NFL concussion plaintiffs
- Wyncote Academy and administrator face sexual assault claim by former student
- BJ’s Wholesale Club moves to transfer slip-and-fall suit out of Phila. Common Pleas Court
- Judge approves pre-trial order governing attorneys’ fees in drywall antitrust MDL; Quarterly fee reports will not be publicly docketed
Tag CloudACLU of PA Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts Albert Einstein Medical Center Amtrak Asbestos Bayer City of Philadelphia Commonwealth of Pennsylvania First Judicial District of Pennsylvania Ford Motor Co. Georgia-Pacific LLC Glaxosmithkline Honeywell International Jerry Sandusky Johnson & Johnson Jr. Lower Merion School District National Football League Obermayer Rebmann Maxwell & Hippel Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court Pennsylvania Department of Corrections Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Pennsylvania General Assembly Pennsylvania State Police Pennsylvania State University Pennsylvania Superior Court Pennsylvania Unified Judicial System Pfizer Philadelphia District Attorney's Office Philadelphia International Airport Philadelphia Police Department Philadelphia Traffic Court School District of Philadelphia Smithkline Beecham Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority The Second Mile top U.S. Attorney's Office Union Carbide Willow Terrace Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Yaz Zoloft
Tag Archives: American Tort Reform Association
Phila. court leadership: mass tort filings down 70 percent in 2012, rules changes credited with decline
Working rule changes to the mass tort program at the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas that were instituted during the past year to address what was viewed as explosive growth with regard to asbestos and pharmaceutical cases has resulted in … Read More
The Philadelphia civil court system, which had been in the crosshairs of a Washington, D.C.-based tort reform group for the past two years, can finally breathe a sigh of relief – somewhat. The American Tort Reform Association, which is dedicated … Read More
For years defendants in tort cases have said that Philadelphia’s courts are biased, but little in the way of empirical data was available to substantiate the claims.
WASHINGTON – Philadelphia’s civil courts system has been named the nation’s worst by the American Tort Reform Foundation for a second consecutive year.
In New York, they call it the Bronx Jury Effect.
A newly released academic study by a law school professor asserts that Philadelphia’s civil court system is attractive to plaintiff’s from outside of the city – at the expense of local consumers and businesses.