Lawsuit says dehumidifier is to blame for house fire

By The Penn Record | Feb 5, 2015

HARRISBURG - Two Pennsylvania residents recently sued the manufacturers of a dehumidifier, alleging their house caught on fire because of the companies' neligence.

Christopher Taylor and Nancy Strohm alleged in their Dec. 10 lawsuit against Heat Controller, Inc. and Motors & Armatures, Inc. that a malfunctioning dehumidifier caused a fire to break out in their home on June 24.


The fire caused extensive damage, and Taylor and Strohm alleged the companies are responsible because they failed to manufacture a functioning product and didn't inspect their products properly.

According to the complaint, which was filed in Lebanon County Court of Common Pleas, the plaintiffs are seeking more than $50,000 in damages and court costs.

The defendants removed the case to U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania on Jan. 30.

In doing so, they argued the amount in controversy exceeds a $75,000 threshold for federal jurisdiction.

"Plaintiffs' attorney has expressed that his client insurance company has valued the claim in this action at $175,000," the removal notice says.

The plaintiffs are represented by Richard J. Boyd Jr., Christopher L. Taylor and Nancy Strohm, of de Luca Levine, LLC in Blue Bell.

Heat Controller is now known as CDGJL, Inc. It is represented by attorneys from the Philadelphia firm Ward Greenberg Heller & Reidy.

U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania case number 1:15-cv-00223.

More News

The Record Network