Customer sues Lowe’s, claiming dehumidier spontaneously ignited

By Carol Ostrow | Sep 3, 2015

A Selinsgrove resident is suing a major home improvement retailer alleging breach of contract and product negligence in a 2014 appliance accident which the plaintiff claims damaged her home and possessions.

Rebecca A. Wilson sued Lowe’s Home Centers LLC of Mooresville, N.C., and doing business in Pennsylvania, in the U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania on Aug. 27, claiming that a dehumidifier purchased from the defendant burst into flames at her home on or about June 22, 2014, allegedly causing extensive damage to Wilson’s real and personal property.

According to the complaint, Wilson, who alleges that she used the appliance correctly, incurred hardship and expenses due to the incident. She charges Lowe's with negligence for failing to manufacture, assemble, inspect and test the product adequately to ensure its safety, and for selling it when it knew or should have known of the supposedly hazardous components.

The suit also faults the defendant for failure to warn consumers, retain competent staff for the dehumidifier’s manufacture, and conform to prevailing industry and government safety standards. Wilson also charges Lowe’s with breach of express and implied warranties.

The plaintiff seeks monetary damages of more than $500,000, interest, attorney’s fees, and court costs. Wilson is represented by Richard Boyd of de Luca Levine in Blue Bell.

U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania 4:15-cv-01668-MWB

More News

The Record Network