PHILADELPHIA – An Ardmore woman alleges she was injured when a hair dryer she purchased at a T.J. Maxx store caught on fire during use.
Ashley McKay filed a complaint on July 7 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania against The TJX Cos. Inc., doing business as T.J. Maxx, and Vered Cosmetique Inc.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff purchased a Vered hair dryer from T.J. Maxx in St. David's on Dec. 14, 2013. The suit states that while the plaintiff was using the hair dryer on Feb. 9, 2016, it caught on fire and also caught her shirt on fire, causing second and third-degree burns.
The plaintiff holds The TJX Cos. Inc. and Vered Cosmetique Inc. responsible because the defendants allegedly had a duty to sell products that are free from defective conditions.
The plaintiff seeks judgment against the defendants in an amount that of more than $75,000 plus interest, court costs and delay damages. She is represented by Joseph F. Schwartz of Silver & Silver in Ardmore.
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania case number 2:17-cv-03042-BMS